Call us 8470 0313

Level 4, 195 Victoria Square, Adelaide

Stevens Law - Lawyers Adelaide

Children’s Issues

After separation, it can be difficult to reach an agreement in respect to the care arrangements for the children.


The options available to parties wishing to resolve children’s care arrangements are as follows:

  1. Create a parenting plan;
  2. Enter into Consent Orders; or
  3. Issue Court proceedings.


A parenting plan is a written agreement between the parties detailing the care arrangements for the children. A parenting plan is not legally enforceable as it has not been approved by the Court and is simply an informal agreement between the parties. Parenting plans are usually the result of mediation between the parties after separation.


Consent Orders are also a written agreement between the parties, the difference being that the agreement is approved by the Court making it legally binding on both parties. This option is great for those not wanting to go through the stressful Court process but still wanting a binding order to ensure consistency and routine in the care arrangements of the children.


If an agreement cannot be reached between the parties, it is necessary to issue Court proceedings to obtain orders based on evidence between the Court. It is important to note that you continue to be able to reach agreement throughout the Court process if circumstances change.


For further information, please call our friendly Family Law team at Stevens Law for a no obligation discussion today.